Being that I am a bit of a nerd (I know, you're all shocked, right?) it was perhaps inevitable that I would seek out nerdy knitting things as I had done with cross-stitch previously (sidebar: I never posted my nerdy cross-stitch did I? Well, suffice to say, it combined a satirisation of a Rene Magritte painting and a certain 80s video game thus satisfying my history of art nerdiness with my love of this particular game...I shall find a picture of it for you!). Anyhow, after doing a bit of googling and a bit of searching in my local bookshop, I found this:
|Available from good craft booksellers and Amazon|
I chose this pattern becuase it looked relatively straightforward and would teach me a few new tricks, and that can't be a bad thing, can it? It had the added advantage of teaching me American knitting terms and how to translate them into the British terms that I had been taught whilst learning to knit. A note here, if you purchase this book (and I suggest you do because there are some great projects in there), the author tends to give the brand of wool (yarn) that she used rather than the weight. This can be transalted via a small amount of googling to find the brand of wool, which should tell you the weight of it, which you can then translate into british terms. In the case of this pattern, the Lion Brand Wool Ease translates well to Aran weight wool. I used Patons Colourworks Aran wool in Sunset (Shade #00081).
So way back in April (I think...) I cast on my 72 stitches on a pair of 3.75mm needles and started to knit. The project progressed quite nicely, with only minimal swearing and undoing of stitches, until I started the great commute that ended up lasting 8 months...
So it was put aside for quite a while apart from a brief moment in the summer when the DSM on the show I was working on was also a knitter and we passed the shows by knitting between standbys. It was then put aside for the whole of dark (for you non-theatrical types, this is a period of time with no shows when the theatre undergoes a maintenance period). I only picked it up again when I went to Canada at the start of Septemeber, knowing that I was going to be staying in a household with a knitter and nearby to an extended family of other knitters. I made quite rapid progress whilst there, finishing the back piece and getting up to the point of the neckline shaping by the time I left (with only 1 minor incident involving putting the knitting down to answer the phone, picking it up the wrong way up and being too jetlagged to notice that I was knitting in the wrong direction...essentially un-knitting half of it and making the other half four rows longer...messy).
I had it almost completed by around October when I came up against a problem: picking up stitches. This, for some reason, seemed like a incredibly daunting task. So the vest sat on the shelf under the coffee table, all sewn together and mearly awaiting a rib stitch around the collar and armholes with me staring at it an occasionally picking up the odd stitch. I should perhaps explain what I mean by picking up stitches...its when you create stitches along a finished edge in order to add to it or finish off. After my Gran (who taught me to knit and was staying with me over Christmas) offered several times to pick up my stitiches for me, no doubt thinking it was ridiculous that I hadn't finished it when she'd done 2 jumpers in a similar time frame, I thought I should get off my arse and finish it, because it seems ludicrous to take so long to finish a project that says it 'knits up in a flash'.
Afraid it would take hours, but nonetheless determined, I picked up the vest and my circular needle...and realised that I'd been overcomplicating it massively. It was not hard to pick up the stitches at all, in fact it was about as easy as casting on, and I could do that! Confidence and stitches increaased, I completed the vest within a day and sewing away the loose ends in no time.
The result (and yes, I know I'm making a silly face...I was just so pleased to finish!):
I'm even considering one in a different colour...and perhaps adapting the pattern slightly...(y'know, adding some imagination...)